Gottfried of Alemannia, Duke of the Alamanni 1) 2)
Died 709 2)
Notes: The Henry Project doubts whether Gottfried was father of Huoching - marking the relationship as "probable". Three main doubts are expressed, though the author ultimately concludes "that it is more likely than not that the genealogical sequence Gottfried-Huoching-Nebi is correct".
1) Limited corroboration of Thegan's account, in primary (or even other similarly dated secondary) sources
2) Doubts over Huoching's existence, arising from similarities to legendary characters in Anglo-Saxon heroic poetry
3) Chronological challenges, "about how the succession Gottfried-Huoching-Nebi-Imma-Hildegarde could be placed in the years 710-783, especially when two of Gottfrieds sons were active as dukes until just before the middle of the century"
No attempt is going to be made to address these issues here - other than to say the first two are material issues, which signficantly undermine this likelihood that this lineage is correct.
Sources for Gottfriend's immediate children are minimal. Lantfrid and Theodebald are both recorded in eight century (primary) sources, whereas his sons Liutfred and Odilo are only recorded in early ninth century sources. However, for these latter two sons, there are other sources confirming their existence as individuals. Whereas Huoching is solely referenced in the Vita Hludovici Imperatoris, and the Vita provides too few details on Huoching to corroborate its claim.
Notes: Possibly an Agilolfing.
1. Huoching of Alemannia 3) 1)
Notes: Huoching's father is probably the Allemanian Duke, Gottfriend. Nonetheless, there are significant doubts with respect to that link: including a difficult chronology, and an odd ordering of names in a the listing of Reichenau benefactors in the Reichenau confraternity book where the name Huoching does not appear with Gottfried's other sons.
Sources1) Source: Vita Hludovici Imperatoris "...nomine Hildigardam, quae erat de cognatione Gotefridi ducis Alamannorum. Gotefridus dux genuit Huochingum, Huochingus genuit Nebi; Nebe genuit Immam; Imma vero genuit Hiltigardam beatissimam reginam. Postquam autem eam supradictus imperator in matrimonium assumpsit, genuit ex ea tres filios, quorum unus vocabatur nomine patris sui Karolus, alter vero Pippinus, qui erat rex super Italiam, tertius vero vocabatur Hludowicus, qui erat rex super Aquitaniam.". Reference: 2 (Data from secondary evidence)
2) Source: The Henry Project . External Link
https://fasg.org/projects/henryproject/data/gottf000.htm. Reference: Gottfried (Unreliable evidence or estimated data)
3) Source: The Henry Project One relatively contemporary source identifies Huoching as father of Hnabi. While there are doubts, on the balance of probabilities this is likely correct.. External Link
https://fasg.org/projects/henryproject/data/huoch000.htm. Reference: Huoching (Unreliable evidence or estimated data)